Sign in to follow this  
George

14 - Anatomy of a Landscape

This winter I'll be on the prowl for the perfect Brora sunrise landscape shot. I'll be showing you what's basically required for landscape photography and setting up a shot. Good landscapes don't happen by accident. Well, they can, but you can't rely on accidents for good photos. I'll be posting all my efforts for you to enjoy, and giving you a few pointers along the way. Keep an eye on the dates of each post. Good landscapes can take months of preparation.

This was Brora an hour ago.

anatomy01.jpg.566daf0ae50886a84128a3ed5ef63adb.jpg

Good morning from Brora. I think it will be December before I get a chance to catch a perfect sunrise. The sun is still too far left of photo, but as winter arrives the sun will gradually dawn further and further into the photo. They turned off the street lights here just as I took the shot. Timing can be everything. I'll have to go a little earlier tomorrow, make sure I get the street lights on.

anatomy08.jpg.70d4362d07bfd8246eacf2c3f738cee7.jpg

This is what I'm looking for. This is my best Brora sunrise photo so far, but it's an old photo so I'll be looking for something even better. The street lights have to be on!

anatomy05.jpg.57783cd7b935455057ab6fad5979fb3d.jpg

I'm still on the prowl for that perfect Brora sunrise shot. I've pretty much determined it will happen in December, maybe even early January, but I'm still scouting out locations. I think this particular spot might be a contender.

anatomy04.jpg.7568be32e3fd09732c8c66a0e32823c4.jpg

This was another location I had in mind, but unfortunately I've had to drop it as a contender as the sun is too far right of photo for a sunrise. I might have to go back for a serious black and white though.

anatomy06.jpg.bc3a5597b44d935d1ffd625650b3f8d0.jpg

I'm still in the prep stages for this perfect Brora sunrise. I've settled myself on two locations, now it was time to finalise which lens I was going to use.

Until now I've been using the Fuji 16-55mm, which is an absolutely stunning lens. This morning I tried out the 10-24mm, but it's too wide for my tastes, just doesn't do it for me. The sky is too big, the foreground adds nothing, and Brora is too small.

So, that's it then, I have my two locations and it will be the 16-55mm, now it's a waiting game until the sun gets into position as well as lots of early mornings. I'll be taking the 10-24mm along with me of course, just in case a big sky comes along.

anatomy03.jpg.a1dca47267e0e72ffd1a546ac86fd0c8.jpg

No harm in being a little arty and having some fun on the side while prepping for a landscape.

anatomy07.jpg.1156c9c5c3c1e2c039b71939dbb794e7.jpg

Had another wander around this morning, checking the sun's position and when it was rising. It's getting there.

171026-brora2.jpg.7c0379a357ae1f83cf5f7d11df81346e.jpg

Seems the sun is already in position for one of my shots. This was the harbour this morning.

171026-harbour1.jpg.7064e0ce6a4d8d9050a54792cbf44bc8.jpg

Things are happening. It's just a waiting game now with this one, and patience. I missed the street lights this morning with the clocks going back. Just a case now of getting up early and looking out the window to see what the sky is like.

171029broraharbour.jpg.09f8b0877b8809c5eef7ab734721b450.jpg

I'm still on the prowl. This was Brora harbour this morning. Weather hasn't been great this week, not for sunrises anyway, but I've been keeping an eye on things. I went down to the harbour this morning anyway, because I wanted to see how the harbour lights would affect the image. I got this photo while I was there. However, it occurred to me that perhaps this wasn't the best spot, or even the best orientation. Might portrait orientation in a slightly different spot produce a more striking image? I don't know, but I'm going to find out.

171103-broraharbour.jpg.cf5b14b5a934f6b1c9f2acc256b8b073.jpg

As suspected, assuming landscape was the only orientation for this shot wasn't correct. Here's a portrait oriented shot of Brora harbour taken yesterday morning. Looks like I'm now going for two perfect sunrise images, one portrait and one landscape.

after.thumb.jpg.be7cc25948f61718bcc46b31e328171a.jpg

It was a gorgeous frosty autumn sunrise in Brora this morning, but there were no good sunrise photos at either of my two scouted locations. Then this happened. This is about as perfect a Brora sunrise as I've ever seen, and it happened by accident on the way home.

171108-brorarunrise.jpg.66ce60863e191928c3eccffc5a9db2d5.jpg

It happened. This morning it happened. The tide was perfect, the curve of water, the sun rising in exactly the right place, the light, the colours, everything came together. All this work to get this one photo, but it was worth it.

171118-broraharbour03small.thumb.jpg.526df332499a7fbd06ddffe276da1352.jpg